- Activities and expected results
- At Peripheral or Local Level:
- Use of antibiotics data already processed in the form of DDD / patient-days.
- Incidence / percentage of resistant strains.
- Evolution of the above information in the form of time series.
- Most likely microorganism in common clinical conditions (CC).
- Current expected resistance of the microorganisms of interest, remotely calculated from data c).
- Empirical Therapy Guidelines
- Microbiological Electronic Form
- At Central Level:
- Support for the peripheral level:
- Computing staff can move the central level to participating centers (PC) to collaborate and coordinate the installation of local systems, and assist in the maintenance of the system.
- In an automated and remote manner time series of every PC will be read thus creating a database for each one of them
- Certain automated Time Series Analysis programs will run on the series of resistance by using the SCA software in order to calculate the predictions of resistance for the next three months. Most of these programs based on SCA are already available in theVegaBajaHospital
- These predictions will be sent to each PC so as to be added to the series of observed resistance and provide a basis for the development of Empirical Therapy Guidelines. (V.A.e)).
- Research support.
- All time series will be shown, via web, for an easy consultation and study by any authorized member of the participating hospitals.
- The use of time series to carry out publishable papers by researchers outside the home institution will require the permission of that centre.
- An Econometrics Service will analyze, at the request of investigators, the models these investigators bring forward.
At the level of each participating centre, tasks to develop are primarily techniques for extracting and transforming data. This concerns the “mechanical” problem of running a series of material and human resources that will yield a result.
These results take the form of a series of benefits that participants will receive:
Information d) and e) may be used by the Infections Commission of any center to develop Empirical Therapy guidelines locally-based. This will involve defining some clinical conditions (CC), no more than 20 or 30, which comprise the most common syndromes without looking for a detailed diagnosis (pneumonia, urinary tract infection, etc.). InVegaBajaHospitalwe have already compiled a list of these CC that could be easily adapted to each participating centre.
We project the development of an electronic form so that when a clinician requests a microbiologic culture, the program will show, in real time, the most common microorganisms (at an 80% probability) for the clinical scenario that prompted the culture, expected resistance of these microorganisms to several antibiotics as well as the recommended antibiotic for this clinical condition. The use of this electronic form may be mandatory for the request of cultures thus making it necessary to detail the specific clinical scenario, so that after one or two years it is possible to know which are the most common microorganisms at the local level in several clinical scenarios.
This is a computer system connected to the local systems and with skilled personnel (in computing, econometrics, …) intended to carry out several activities: